1. What type of birth control (Condoms, pills, pulled out) did you use, if any?
Condoms, the Today sponge, Next Choice, and schecking cervical mucus for ovulation.
2. Were there any problems with your protection (condom breaking, missing pills)?
The condom broke for sure, and while I followed the directions for inserting the sponge, we went a little wild such that the sponge may have moved its position because the string was all the way in the back such that I had a very hard time taking it out. The sponge actually broke off a little when I took it out, and I ended up going to the doctor's to have it taken out. The doctor did say that the sponge was wedged tightly though.
3. Are you trying to get pregnant, or avoiding it? AVOIDING IT. While I do consider starting a family with my boyfriend, it's still too early in the relationship, and both of our careers just took off, so getting pregnant now is NOT an option.
4. How many days are between the first day of one period and the first day of your next? About 29-32 days.
5. Any big changes which could change your cycle (major change in diet, exercise, new medication, new stress?) Stress from work. I worked over 60 hours a week in August.
6. What was the month/day your last period started? August 16.
7. What date(s) did you have sex? Early morning of September 8.
8. Where was ejaculation(in vagina, in condom, pulled-out)? In vagina.
9. Is there anything else that makes you think you're pregnant? I've had spotting yesterday and today (Monday). I know that one of the side effects of EC is spotting but I heard that the same goes for implantation (yikes!!!)?
The condom was a complete failure, and I know he came inside me. I dunno about the Sponge, but I took EC about an hour after we had sex, and I didn't throw it back up, so I hoped it worked. Also, while I don't monitor my basal body temperature, I do check for cervical mucus every month, and the last time I had that kind of discharge was Labor Day weekend, so at least 5 or so days before I had sex with my boyfriend.
However, I do have a question that's a bit time sensitive - I dunno whether I should ask this in birthcontrol
instead, so I apologize if the question is more suited for that comm and will post it there. I just read today that the copper IUD can be inserted up to 5 days after sex as a form of EC, and it can be over 99% effective. I had sex early Saturday morning, so I'm still within the 5 day range, so my question is should I make an appointment to have it inserted? The only complication is that I'm flying out of town for work Friday, and if the post-procedure will cause a lot of pain, I'm not sure whether that is worth it.
Thank you so much for all your help. I find this community to be very helpful and non-judgmental. I'm just completely freaking out right now that I just need an second opinion from someone objective. Thanks a bunch for reading.